Friday, 7 August 2009

Sketchbook Work

Over the last few weeks I've been thinking about the way I go about working and how a lot of the process is digital. Obvioualy with the nature of our pathway it is Multimedia based and creating work in a digital form, but considering how we get to that end process is what interests me.

It reminded me of when I had my interview with Rick and we were looking through my work. One thing that I remember Rick saying was, to carry on work sketchbooks. Don't get me wrong I love working on computers, but one thing that I think allows for some peoples work to have an edge is to have an element of a handcrafted approach. Obviously, it isn't something that is always the way to go, or even appropriate but it is definately an approach that I like.

Over the last half of term last year I thought about continuing sketchbook work, but never really got time to do so. At the end of last term I got my Foundation Sketchbooks back and I had a flick back through them. One thing that I noticed about the way that I worked then was all about EXPERIMENTING!

I created quite a lot of work on foundation in sketchbook form and that was down to the way that I made sure that I got stuck into briefs. I'll be the first one to say that some of the compositions didn't work, but I'll also say that the way that I got to the ones that did was by exploring ideas, haphazored or not. A mindset that I'd love to get back to.

Sketchbook work to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment