Sunday, 19 December 2010

Studio Babelsberg

As if the film archive the day before wasn't enough, the visit to Studio Babelsberg was just an unbelievable experience. To be shown around a film studio and lot was something that when the lady who showed us around said was something that they didn't really do. So this just highlighted how great this opportunity was.

Here are a few shots that I took on the day of one of their outdoor sets:















Seeing the outdoor sets was extremely intriguing, especially when most of the set was just frontage on scaffolding, however you wouldn't know when walking down the street. It was just brilliant to see the incredible detail that was used. We were told about how the street had been used within many different films and was just remodeled depending on the required aesthetic. We were shown images of the street in different films, it was used in the film "Inglorious Bastards", for the cinema scene and only the day before we were it was dressed with Nazi flags and memorabilia.

I was intrigued to ask about the turn around for a the set and when I asked, I was surprised to hear that if it was just a shop within the street that needed remodelling it would probably only take a few hours, however for something like the Cinema in "Inglorious Bastards" it took closer to 3 weeks. I was amazed by this visit. Not only did were we shown around the studio grounds, but we had the opportunity to look around one of the biggest prop houses in Europe, look and try on original costumes on and go onto their permanent outdoor sets.

One of the things that inspired me about this visit was the way the props and sets were created and has allowed me to consider the possibility of using props and even creating a set when thinking about my major project. Through posts on my blog, especially over the past few months, I think it is clear to see my interest in compositing and I have been considering ways I can bring this together. One possibility would be using props and sets, definately something to consder over Christmas when considering ideas for Major Project.

No comments:

Post a Comment