Friday, 5 March 2010

Lauren Moriarty

Visiting Lecture: Lauren Moriarty
05/03/10


On Friday we had a visiting lecture by textile/product designer Lauren Moriarty. Although her work is primarily textile based, she experiments a lot with materials and how her designs can be used as products. As I studied product design at A-S and A Level it was interesting to see how she took her original designs and modified them to suit the needs of a consumer.

Although Lauren Moriarty is a textile/product designer I found that her lecture was informative and relevant. I think that it's important within design to have interests and influences not just from our pathway. Although she operates within a different area in design than we do, I felt that a lot of what she was saying was relevant to the way that we work.

One of the main things that she talked to us about was the way that she promotes herself as a designer and how she uses her website to sell her own work. I found this part of the lecture extremely interesting and found myself make lots of notes, (maybe too many)! She also talked about funding and the options that were out there for students requiring funding for art projects.

Unlike some other lectures that we've had I found that she really wanted to help us and provide us with a as much help as she could.

No comments:

Post a Comment