Wednesday, 5 May 2010

Portfolio Crit


I had a Portfolio Crit this morning with Malc. Malc does a lot of graphic based work, however he also creates animation. He said that a lot of the animation work that he creates revolves around animating logos and idents, to be used in things such as presentations. He's also been working on something which I found really exciting recently, which is flash animated cartoons. A lot of the major newspapers are going online and in sight of this they are transforming the classic comic strips into animations.

I think that it's interesting as it shows how aspects within the field that we are learning are developing and the way that different areas within graphic design and illustration are moving into the field of moving image. After discussing some of the things that he was involved in I showed him some of my work. I decided to choose a few pieces of work that I have created over the last year. The feedback that I recieved was really helpful as he spent quite a while talking through my pieces with me and I managed to show him quite a few of my pieces of work.

Discovery Channel Ident:
The first piece that I showed Malc was my recent Discovery Channel Ident. I started off by talking about the background behind the piece and how I decided to choose what I did for the Discovery channel. He liked the piece and was intrigued to know how it was created. When I told him it was made in 3d, but that I still wanted to achieve the line vector style, he thought that it worked well.

Competition Piece: "The Ever Changing, Mutating City"
I then went on to show my competition piece. This was one of the pieces that I really wanted to get some feedback on. I spent, what seemed like, so long creating and reworking the piece that I wanted to know what someone in the industry thought of it. He loved the parallels that I had used between the bookshelf and a city. We discussed the way that I would like to revisit different elements within it and pay more attention to the way that I execute introducing the book names, but he thought that it was a great idea.

Where will you draw the line, (10 Second Ident):
After explaining the background to the 'Draw the line' event, I showed him my 10 Second sting. He liked the simplicity of the way that the piece ran and offered some suggestions on how to enhance the question mark at the end. He suggested that maybe I briefly introduce an additional circle below the logo to emphasise the question being asked, definately something to consider.

Water Project:
Although there are things that we as a group have already decided that were going to change with the piece I decided to show this piece anyway. I felt that as we took this project on as a group project and it was different to the other briefs we have set, that this would be interesting to have a talk about. He loved the work and asked me to pass the feedback onto Steve and Luke. He said that the piece works really well in terms of narrative and telling the journey of the process. Interestingly, he thought that the length of the piece wasn't too long and if we chopped it up too much that it might loose something. He liked the music that me had used, but suggested that we consider the use f font and the way that the type is brought onto the screen. Maybe that it animates on either letter by letter or word by word, to fit with the flow of the piece. We were considering editing the length of the piece , however maybe its more important that we asses the way that the type is used.

Personal project, (Pedicabs 3D animation):
As it's a little different, I decided that I would show him the modeling that I did for the guy in London, (http://mattgeelingmi.blogspot.com/2009/07/new-edit.html), at the beginning of the year. He thought that this piece worked really well and we discussed the way that the model could and has been used as a way of quickly mocking up new designs, with different advertising panels on it.

I decided that although I wanted to show him the work that I've created this year, that I would also show him my 'New Way of Looking' video that I made last year. I decided to do this as the rest of the work that I showed him was animation based and because I think that my new way of looking video has strong idea and concept about it. He liked this video and we talked about the potential for taking the idea further as a campaign and the ways that the piece could be extended into other mediums, such as viral, print etc.

Although he really liked the production quality of the pieces one thing that we talked about was ideas and how important having a strong idea for a piece actually is. He said that one thing he liked about some of the work I showed him was the ideas behind the pieces.

Overall the experience was great. I was a little apprehensive about showing someone my work, however I found the experience to be a positive and quite motivating one. I found the feedback useful and it's made me want to go back to some pieces and re-work them.

No comments:

Post a Comment